Choose ONLY ONE of the videos for Jarana OR Sofia to complete Assignment 3
Length: 1600-2000 words
Description of the assessment: Analysis of learning and development
1. Read the Background Information for your chosen child in the videos on the Blackboard site for this assessment task, noting the children’s age, the context of the situation: time of day, the setting, the people present and the child’s background information.
2. Observe the relevant videos on the Blackboard site for this unit
3. Document the key points of the videos regarding
a. what the child did and said;
b. what the adult/s did and said;
c. the physical learning environment- that is, the context for each child and their family
4. Evaluate the recorded observation regarding the child’s learning, interests, and competencies, especially based on at least one of the following theories and the background information provided about the children:
i. Theories relating to Social and Emotional development
ii. Ethological theories
iii. Context based theories
(you may find that other theories learnt earlier in the session are also applicable- you can mention these too, if you feel that something is particularly relevant or important)
5. Future Learning Possibilities: Suggest ideas for future teaching plans to support the child’s learning and development, based on your evaluation.
The aim of this assessment task is to demonstrate your understanding of the theories as they apply to children’s learning and development. Students must obtain a copy of the criteria marking sheet available from the Blackboard site and familiarise themselves with the criteria for this assessment item. The Report will be assessed on:
• Ability to identify and articulate key points relating to the child’s context that influence their learning and development
• Level of understanding of the key theories relating to social and emotional development, ethological theories, context based theories and other theories in the unit.
• Application of knowledge to future learning possibilities for the child
• Information is organised and presented concisely, using professional language: appropriate grammar, spelling and punctuation, and correct APA 6th referencing and presentation.