1. Final Project Directions
The final project will be an analysis of your Research Selection Assignment from Week 1. The critique for the final project is due
Wednesday of Week 7 at 11:55 pm c Central Standard Time. Review Chapter 21 to help you understand how to critique a research study.
IF YOU DO NOT USE THE STUDY FROM WEEK 1 YOU WILL RECEIVE A 0 FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT.
The purpose of doing an in-depth analysis of your Research Selections Study, designed research article is to help you put into practice the content of the course and to illustrate why the hierarchy of evidence is focused on systematic reviews. Further, your having done such a review gives you insight into the sort of thinking and questioning that arises when you are reading research articles. It may also stimulate the critical thinking that is required of the nursing scholar.
This will be your analysis and you are required to use critical thinking in analyzing your selected article. If you agree or disagree with the author, support your reasoning. If you find any component of the study lacking or in need of improvement, support your position. Support your position with scholarly resources.
Steps in the Process:
1. Refer to the Distance Learning Librarian link under the Learner Support banner on the homepage of the course to learn how to use the library and find the library databases.
2. See the assignment in week one on submitting your Research Selection Study
3. Follow the instructions for this assignment in week one
4. The Grading criteria, the Rubric, for the written project is found in week six.
5. Your paper is to be 5 – 10 pages not counting the title page and the reference page.
7. Submit your paper to Turnitin by the posted deadline in week six.
This activity is worth 30% of your total grade. You can expect individual feedback within 72-hrs from the closing of the assignment.
2. Quantitative Research Example
This example contains all the parts of a research review you will need for your final paper.
The Article – See attached “ARTICLE EXAMPLE”
3. Analyzing a Research Article PPT
4. Guidelines for Reviewing a Research Paper
4 Guidelines for Reviewing a Research Paper
Elements within an Analysis of a Research Article:
In the body of your final project be sure you have written about the 14 parts of a research journal article:
1) Problem statement: In what way(s) was the problem the study was conducted to resolve an important one for nurses to explore?
(2) Study purpose: In what way(s) was the purpose of the study significant to nursing?
(3) Research question(s): What was the main research question? If it is not stated, what would you say the research question was?
(4) Study variables: What are the variables the researchers found or used in the study?
(5) Conceptual/ theoretical framework: Was a conceptual model or theoretical framework used to guide this study? .
(6) Review of related literature: Does the literature review support the need for this study?
(7) Study design: Quantitative designed research deals mostly with numbers. Groups as studied using instruments such as questionnaires, or data records. A critique of a quantitative design includes the fit of the design with the purpose and question of the study.
(8) Sample and setting: Does the sample appear to be large enough? Was the sample described as a convenience sample or in some other way described as nonrepresentative? Was the setting in which data were collected appropriate for this study?
(9) Identification and control of extraneous variables: What were the extraneous variables in this study? Were appropriate measures used to control for the influence of the extraneous variables?
(10) Study instruments/tools: Were the instruments adequate for their use in this study? In what way(s) were the instruments used appropriate for this study?
(11) Data collection methods: In what way(s) were the data collection methods appropriate for this study? In what way(s) were the steps taken to protect the rights of subjects adequate?
(12) Data analysis procedures: In what way(s) were the data analysis procedures appropriate for the type of data collected? In what way(s) were the data analysis procedures appropriate for answering the research question(s)?
(13) Strengths/limitations: What were the major strengths or the scientific merit of this study? What are two major limitations in the scientific merit of this study? To what extent were the study findings practical for use in nursing practice and education?
(14) Implications: What were the implications for practice (policies, procedures, quality monitors, plans of care, and evaluation of care)? In your opinion what are the implications for education (formal and informal, patient/family/community, staff development)? What are the implications for research utilization (EBP)? What might need further study)?
5. Research Analysis
Research Analysis Example – see attached “Research Analysis Example”
6. Formatting a Research Critique
Format for the paper – see attached “Format for the paper”
7. PowerPoint Example
Research Analysis PowerPoint – see attached “Research Analysis PowerPoint”
8. Final PPT Rubric – see attached