Findings of a Quantitative Study
What was the purpose of the study (research questions, purposes, and hypotheses)?
How was the sample obtained?
What inclusion or exclusion criteria were used?
Who from the sample actually participated or contributed data (demographic or clinical profile and dropout rate)?
What methods were used to collect data (e.g., sequence, timing, types of data, and measures)?
Was an intervention tested? Yes No
1. How was the sample size determined?
2. Were patients randomly assigned to treatment groups?
What are the main findings?
Is the study published in a source that required peer review? Yes No Not clear
*Did the data obtained and the analysis conducted answer the research question? Yes No Not clear
Were the measuring instruments reliable and valid? Yes No Not clear
*Were important extraneous variables and bias controlled? Yes No Not clear
*If an intervention was tested, answer the following five questions: Yes No Not clear
1. Were participants randomly assigned to groups and were the two groups similar at the start (before the intervention)? Yes No Not clear
2. Were the interventions well defined and consistently delivered? Yes No Not clear
3. Were the groups treated equally other than the difference in interventions? Yes No Not clear
4. If no difference was found, was the sample size large enough to detect a difference if one existed? Yes No Not clear
5. If a difference was found, are you confident it was due to the intervention? Yes No Not clear
Are the findings consistent with findings from other studies? Yes Some No Not clear
Are the findings credible? Yes All Yes Some No
Note any difference in means, r2s, or measures of clinical effects (ABI, NNT, RR, OR)
*Is the target population clearly described? Yes No Not clear
*Is the frequency, association, or treatment effect impressive enough for you to be confident that the finding would make a clinical difference if used as the basis for care? Yes No Not clear
Are the findings clinically significant? Yes All Yes Some No
* = Important criteria