This is an individual assignment and is a comprehensive review of the content and the work you submitted through the term – 20% – April 20 – End of day
Please use the referencing scheme developed by the American Psychology Association (APA). Students experiencing circumstances that may require special consideration should speak with the course instructor well in advance of the due date. Recommendations are provided regarding response length; You are welcome to exceed the suggestion.
New Venture Development Concepts and Application – 14%
1. Consider the discussion at the end of Chapter 1 and justify the business model you developed for the business plan assignment. For example, explain why was this was a good choice and appropriate for the good/service you proposed selling? 10-12 sentences
2. Applying content from Chapter 9 (or previous courses related to ethical business practices), what ethical considerations would be important to your business and stakeholders? Identify at least THREE rules of conduct you would include in your business’ ethical standards. 6-9 Sentences
3. Applying content from ALL chapters of the text (and topics of the course). Identify and discuss THREE ways you believe Canada provides a positive environment for small business/entrepreneurs. 6-8 sentences
4. Applying content from ALL chapters of the text (and topics of the course) and knowledge of relevant internal and external environmental factors, evaluate the opportunity for your business to be successful. What FIVE factors have the most influence on your business’ potential success (or failure if that is what you believe)? 10-15 Sentences
Reflective Exercise – 6%
For the following, you are encouraged to refer to external resources (including the textbook)
1. Identify best practice in other groups’ business plan presentations. What did other groups do particularly well? You need not consider every presentation but perhaps identify/contrast your plan to TWO others at minimum (minimum length 6 complete sentences)
2. Discuss application of this best practice and suggest further developments to your business plan (and the presentation). What would you have done differently? What would remain the same? What would you want to add (or remove) from your business plan or the accompanying presentation? Do certain aspects of your business concept, in your view, need refinement? Try to be as specific as possible and consider commenting on the sections of your business plan and applying concepts from the course and text. (suggested length: 10-12 sentences)
3. What skills (soft skills and technical skills) have you practiced now that you have gone through the exercise of creating a business plan? Reflecting back to exercises and content related to the skills required to be an entrepreneur, have your opinions changed regarding your willingness or hesitancy to become an entrepreneur? Recommended length 6-8 sentences
This exercise is worth 20% of the final course grade. The penalty for plagiarism is that you will receive a grade of zero (first offense). We will also have to follow Niagara College’s protocol with respect to plagiarism cases. The late penalty for the essay is 10% per day after the due date.
Criteria and Grade Values – 14% Grade Awarded
The assignment includes a review of your business plan model. Approach is identified and justified • 4 marks
The assignment identifies code of conduct as it relates to the business and its stakeholders • 2 marks
The business environment in Canada is discussed and assessed • 2 marks
A critical analysis of the business’ potential for success is provided • 5 marks
The assignment is well written and clearly organized.
• Have ideas been expressed effectively?
• Is the assignment structured coherently? • 1 marks
Total marks (a sum of the marks noted above) 14 marks
Criteria and Grade Values – Reflection Grade Awarded
The assignment identifies best practice in other groups’ business plan presentations.
• What did other groups do particularly well? • 2
The assignment addresses the application of this best practice and suggests further developments to your business plan
• How would you improve your business plan and presentation if you had the opportunity to do so?
• 3 marks
The assignment considers your own performance and team dynamics.
• What did you discover about yourself and others?
• What did others possibly discover about you? • 1 mark
Total marks (a sum of the marks noted above) 6 marks