This assignment allows the learner to apply knowledge gained about health promotion concepts and strategies,
enhance written communication skills, and demonstrate a beginning understanding of cultural competency.
Course outcomes: This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes:
1. Discuss the professional nurse’s role in health promotion activities. (PO 1 and 2)
3. Discuss health promotion, illness prevention, health maintenance, health restoration, and rehabilitation in
relation to the nurse’s role in working with various populations. (PO 1, 2, and 8)
7. Identify health promotion strategies throughout the life span. (PO 1, 2, and 4)
Due date: Your faculty member will inform you when this assignment is due. The Late Assignment Policy applies
to this assignment.
Total points possible: 100 points
Preparing the assignment
Follow these guidelines when completing this assignment. Speak with your faculty member if you have questions.
1) Identify a health problem or need for health promotion for a particular stage in the life span of a population
from a specific culture in your area.
2) Choose one of the Leading Health Indicator (LHI) priorities from Healthy People.
3) Research a topic related to health and wellness associated with one of the Healthy People topic areas.
4) Submit your topic to the instructor for approval at least 2 weeks prior to the final assignment due date, but
earlier if desired. All topics must be approved.
5) You will develop an educational health promotion project addressing the population/culture in your area.
6) Use TurnItIn in time to make any edits that might be necessary based on the Similarity Index prior to submitting
your paper to your faculty. Consult with your faculty about the acceptable Similarity Index for this paper.
7) For writing assistance, visit the Writing Center page
8) Include the following sections (detailed criteria listed below and in the Grading Rubric).
a. Introduction and Conclusion- 15 points/15%
• Introduction establishes the purpose of the paper and describes why topic is important to health promotion
in the target population in your area.
• Introduction stimulates the reader’s interest.
• Conclusion includes the main ideas from the body of the paper.
• Conclusion includes the major support points from the body of the paper.
b. Relate Topic to Target Population- 25 points/25%
• Describes the topic and target cultural population.
• Includes statistics to support significance of the topic.
• Explains how the project relates to the selected Healthy People topic area.
• Applies health promotion concepts.
c. Summary of Articles- 25 points/25%
• A minimum of three (3) scholarly articles, from the last 5 years, are used as sources.
• Articles meet criteria of being from scholarly journals and include health promotion and wellness content.
• At least one article is related to the chosen cultural group.
• Summaries all key points and findings from the articles.
• Includes statistics to support significance of the topic• Discusses how information from the articles is used in the Health Promotion Project, including specific
d. Health Promotion Discussion – 25 points/25%
• Describes approaches to educate the target population about the topic.
• The approaches are appropriate for the cultural target population.
• Identifies specific ways to promote lifestyle changes within the target population.
• Applies health promotion strategies.
e. APA Style and Organization – 10 points/10%
• TurnItIn is used prior to submitting paper for grading.
• Revisions are made based on TurnItIn originality report.
• References are submitted with assignment.
• Uses appropriate APA format (6th ed.) and is free of errors.
• Grammar and mechanics are free of errors.
• Paper is 3-4 pages, excluding title and reference pages.
• Information is organized around required components and flows in a logical sequence.
NR222 Health and Wellness
Required Uniform Assignment: Health Promotion Project