SOCW 6361 4/16
Be sure to use facts and statistics (current research) to support a strong picture as you talk about the social problem, vulnerable population, the policy, and advocacy. (Poverty)
• Review Chapter 9 of the Jansson text. Focus on “Combative Persuasion in Step 5 and Step 6.”
• Develop a list of strategies you can use to persuade others who might not share the same concerns about your issues or your policy proposals.
• Develop a list of talking points for defending your Social Advocacy Proposal. Consider the following areas of your proposal:
• Identification of the problem
• Overview of existing policy
• History of existing policy
• Policy impacts on populations
• Plan for social advocacy, or goals for change
1. Which strategies did you use to communicate the problem and needs of the population to your audience?
2. Why did you select the specific strategies over others? Was your selection informed by the details of your audience? Explain.
3. How did you use the following format to present your goals for change?